The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

About last night

My 3rd shift life started earlier this week.  Although there have been a few speed bumps, for the most part things are going really well.  I'm adjusting to a new sleeping schedule, & a new routine at work, but I'm excited.  I know I made the right decision.

Why then, you must be asking, are things going well only for the most part?

Last night I met my charge nurse - someone that everyone (from CNAs to nurses & back again) has warned me about since I accepted this 3rd shift position.

And let me just say, she lives up to my expectations.  FML.

I think annoying is the best way to describe her.  She's the kind of person who needs to be taken with a grain of salt, & that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Instead of talking about her, I've got a cute story for you.

During 3rd shift most of the residents are in bed.  The CNAs make rounds throughout the night to take people to the bathroom if they're able & make sure the ones who can't are clean & dry.

So, there I am, making my rounds at some ungodly hour of the early morning, when I meet a celebrity!

I go into a resident's room expecting to have to wake her up.  As soon as I click on the light she pops up in bed, all bright-eyed & bushy-tailed, & says, "You know I used to be Ginger Rogers, right?"

I wish I had thought to ask for an autograph.

1 comment:

  1. Oh you so should have! That so would have made the ladies night :)

    My MIL was in a palliative care home for the last couple months before she left us. Each visit with her was like diving into another world, but we always went 'there' with her (and it was often very entertaining)

    ReplyDelete