The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The good, the bad & the smelly.

Last night went better than I expected - sort of.

My prayers were answered, & I was placed on the same unit as DJ's aunt.  Hallelujah!  She introduced me to everyone so they didn't just ignore me & watch me wondering around with no idea what to do.  That was the good - & it was really, really good.

Now to the bad:  women in the workplace are freaking lazy!!  I got placed with a CNA who is on light duty because of an "injury."  She had me do a lot of errands for her, which I didn't mind.  I found out that 2nd shift is way more mellow than 1st, so I was in desperate need of things to do.  And that brings me back to my point:  women in the workplace are freaking lazy!! 

One of my jobs was to "refill" ice water containers.  Since the units are usually short staffed, the evening crew will just add new ice to the water pitchers.  Personally, I think that's lazy, but I went with it.  My "injured" helping was getting me organized with my cart & the ice buckets when she said, "You can just do one hallway now & finish the rest later.  You don't want to get too tired for no reason."

I'd like to point out that there are only 2 hallways on the unit...& I WAS PUTTING ICE IN WATER PITCHERS!  How could that have possibly made me tired?  I'll tell you what made me tired - I'm an overachiever.  I passed out all that ice right then & there...then I was left with nothing to do after the residents had eaten. 

I aimlessly wandered around emptying laundry bags, even if they weren't full.  When that got old, I started to clean up the room where they eat dinner.  Once everyone was in bed & I was completely out of things to do the charge nurse tells me I can "straighten the day room."  Great!  My next task is one that I've already done.  Woo hoo!

I cannot wait to get into the CNA class so I can help with showers, putting people to bed & all the other patient care.  Otherwise there's just not enough for me to do.

Oh!  I forgot to tell you about the smelly part.  The smelly part was me.  I got about half way home when I realized I smelled like pee.  I think it must have been from emptying all the soiled linens & laundry.

I know it's a glamorous job, but somebody's got to do it!

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness your there to do it! Wow those chicks are lazy. I smell like pee every morning... that darn kid has started pulling off his diapers so tonight I'm freaking duct taping them lol! Hope you get in the position you'd like soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I remember when my hubby used to pick me up from on calls and ask 'what's that smell?' and it turned out it was me!! My current job is office based so I no longer need to dodge other people's body fluids :-)
    You will have more fun when you can start helping patients!

    ReplyDelete