The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

My feet hurt.

I've been out of touch for a few days because waking up at 4:45 AM is really kicking my ass!

I started my new job yesterday.  There were a lot of videos about subjects ranging from how not to injure your back to how to identify potentially dangerous chemicals in the workplace.  FUN!  Other than a building tour, we really had no interaction with the residents, so I couldn't form an opinion.

Today started out on the floor passing out breakfast trays.  It was quickly followed by collecting trays, figuring out the percentage of food each resident ate, making beds, collecting laundry bags, collecting/redistributing ice water pitchers, etc.  Then before I knew it, it was time to get the residents ready for lunch!

It wasn't until the ride home after work that I had a chance to reflect on the day.  Amidst all the morning chaos, I had an opportunity to feed one of the residents.  That was a pretty big deal because we hadn't gone over all the procedures for feeding yet.  The trainer made sure I was comfortable, & I decided to just go for it.  And I am absolutely glad I did.

It didn't go perfectly.  I was a little unsure of myself, & I'm not entirely sure how to communicate best with this particular person yet.  But I learned one very, very important thing:  I can do this.  Not only can I do this, I want to do it.  It's not glamorous.  It's fast-paced & exhausting - but it is worth it a hundred times over.

I'm going to take a second to toot my own horn, which is not something I do very often.  However, I think I deserve it.  It finally sunk in today that there aren't a whole lot of people in this world who could do a job like this.  And of the people who could do it, not many of them want to.  I'm one of those people.  And even though I might play a minor role in the grand scheme of things, it's a necessary role.  It's an important role.  These residents need help with these simple things, & I'm so happy to do it.

This is it.  This is what I'm meant for.  This is what my life is going to be about, & I'm over the moon at the thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment