The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Our first tradition.

This is the first Christmas DJ & I are spending in our house, & now we have a tradition to go along with it.

I participated in an ornament swap organized by lovely Brittany at Unexpected Surprises,  I was paired with the equally lovely Becky from The Details are in the Fabric.



The pacakge arrived a few days ago & I was so excited to see my ornament.

It was a pickle.

It's a tradition in Becky's family, & she decided to pass it on to my family.  I LOVE it!

For those of you who don't know, the pickle ornament gets hidden in the tree.  The first person who finds the tree has good luck for the entire new year!  If a little one finds the pickle, he or she gets something extra special from Santa.

My stepdad's parents always had a pickle on their tree...and I never found it.

Now I'm going to be the one who hides the pickle somewhere deep in the tree!

So Becky - thank you, thank you, thank you!!  I love it, & I only hope that you like your ornament just as much!





6 comments:

  1. Cute idea! I'd heard a vague explanation of the "pickle ornament" before, but never knew exactly how it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have one but it broke. Heres an idea, we all can have a WWF Smackdown for the pickle (just to make it more interesting) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it . . . never heard of the pickle ornament before! What a cool tradition . . .

    I'm following you from Never Growing Old . . . visit my blogs when you get a chance :)

    Happy Holidays to you and your family . . . Gina

    http://peacelovehappinesshappens.blogspot.com
    http://labelladiva.blogspot.com
    . . . and many more blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cute idea -- i've never heard about this before, and love that it's a tradition!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome!! I've never heard of that before. I participated in an ornament swap last year & mine were broken by the time they got here! Fail! =(

    ReplyDelete