The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Monday, December 6, 2010

What do you do when you don't know what to do?

Yesterday I got a voicemail from a high school friend that I hadn't heard from in a while.

I sent her a message on Facebook a few weeks ago asking for her new address so  I could mail a Christmas card.  I never heard back from her.

I didn't listen to the message until this morning.

She's no longer living in Florida, the place that she moved to earlier this year.  She has been fired from her job.

She is deeply, deeply troubled.

I talked to her today, & it was like she wasn't even there.  It was a shell of the person I know.

She said things that made no sense at all, & other things that were very concerning.  Things that make me glad to know she is now not allowed to be alone.

Who would ever expect to be glad for something like that?

This is a person who has always had issues.  The kind that are taboo to discuss, even at this point in time.  The kind that have, at times, made it difficult for her to do everyday things.

Despite that, she has always been a great friend to me.  Even at a time in my life when I was making the worst possible decisions, she never looked at me with judgement.  She was nothing but supportive & understanding.

And now, when the little issues have piled into a mountain so big it seems she'll never be able to climb it, I want to do the same thing for her.

But I don't know how.  I don't know where to start.

3 comments:

  1. Just listening to her is a huge start. It sounds like my issues pale in comparison, but having someone to talk to about things that are bothering you without fear of judgment means the world. Keep on listening, let her know you care and that you're there for her, and she'll let you know what she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lisa - listening is powerful, and letting her know that you'll always be there to listen is key, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to your friend.

    ReplyDelete