I had never even heard of a quarter auction before, so it was a new experience for me. It's an awesome idea for a fundraiser. Here's how it works:
- Our ticket got us one auction paddle. When we arrived, we picked a bingo chip with a random number on it. That number was added to a bin where the winners would be drawn from, & we got a corresponding paddle.
- Additional paddles were $2 each, so you could have more than one chance to win auction items.
- We got a catalog with a list of auction items & how many "quarters" it cost to bid on each. The bids ranged from 1 quarter to 4 quarters.
- When it came time for bidding, we put the appropriate amount of quarters in a cup on the table. If you bid with more than one paddle, you had to pay the bid amount for each additional one.
- After all the bids were made, the quarters were collected & a paddle number was selected. If the person who had that paddle bid, they win the item.
At the end of the day I didn't mind that I didn't win much. The title of this blog is the slogan that was printed in the auction book, & exactly what the we did yesterday. It really was more than just a quarter auction.