The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

I have to be nice to him. He's my girlfriend's husband.

Ever heard of a work spouse?  You know, the opposite-sex friend from your job that you spend the most time with.  If you don't have one, get one.  I adore mine.  And the best part?  He & DJ know each other, & DJ knows the premis of our "work marriage."  He thinks it's hilarious, so no one ever gets hurt feelings.

I'm the kind of person who needs to get things off my chest when I'm upset (Who me?  No, never.  Not me...).  That's not always the easiest thing to do at work.  When the truth comes out feelings get hurt, awkwardness ensues & it ain't pretty.  But Work Hubby & I have developed a solution:  car conversations.

When one of us (more often me...ok, mostly me...ok, in 2 years it only hasn't been be once) needs to vent, we go out for lunch.  What happens in the car, stays in the car.  It's a perfect set-up, & one I will miss dearly when I leave my current job.

Anyway, today we had a car conversation.  I can't say what it's about becuase the first rule of Fight Club is:  NEVER talk about Fight Club.  That being said, there is a funny story I'd like to share...

As we were pulling back into the parking lot & I wrapped up my tale of woe, Work Hubby says, "Remember that time a few months ago when you were really mad, but wouldn't say why?  What was that about?" 

I'll be honest, I consider myself "really mad" more often than not.  In fact, no one (at work) ever sees me more angry the him.  The fact that he remembered an occasion when I was more mad than usual is interesting to me, so I questioned him about the circumstances (because I didn't remember.  How ironic?).  Here's what he said:

"I came up to you & said, "Hi"  Then you were all like, "Ahhhh!!! GRRRRR!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!"

It loses a lot unless you actually see him act it out.  He made me out to be a snarling, Wolverine-like, mutant version of myself.  And I won't deny, that's probably exactly how I was acting.

Point being this:  I've had a really rough few days coping with the idea of leaving my job.  Even though I'm miserable with the work, this is the kind of environment I'd be leaving behind.  Sure, Work Hubby & I will always be friends...but it won't be the same.  And I know I will never work around people like this again.  I don't just mean this one person either.  I'm talking about Groundhog's Day carolling, sending ransom emails (accomponied by photos!) for stuff animals stolen out of offices & meetings where we discuss somone's camel toe.

It's an adjustment I know I want, but it's bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment