The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Weekend Warriors



I think Weekend Warriors is a beautiful, fantastic idea.  Kudos to all the mommies raising little ones with special needs in a world that doesn't always make that easy.  While I can't begin to imagine what that must feel like, I think I have an interesting perspective to share.

I am madly in love with a man living with muscular dystrophy; LGMD to be exact.

It's a disease that he inherited from his father, who was misdiagnosed as a child.  LGMD is a progressive disease, so it's gotten worse as he's gotten older.  When he was younger, DJ was able to do almost all of the things a "normal" kid was.  Now he's about to turn 27, & he's in a wheelchair full time.  Although he's still physically able to walk, it's not safe for him to do.

Are there challenges in our relationship?  Yes, everyday.  There are simple things we can't do, like decide to go to dinner or to see a movie. So what.  I can pick up dinner on the way home & we can rent a movie.  When I met DJ he was already in a wheelchair.  I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly what I was getting myself into, but I can tell you that it didn't matter to me.  I fell in love. When I love someone, I go all in.

I plan on this being the first of many Weekend Warrior posts from me.  There are days when it's hard & I have trouble keeping a smile on my face.  I'm thankful that in those times I can get some encouragement & strength from the stories of all the other Weekend Warriors out there.  Hopefully, my stories can do the same for someone else, too.

1 comment:

  1. Renee! So happy to see your link! I've read your story previously and absolutely love your relationship and your strength. Hopefully one day there will be more people like you so all of our Special Needs kids can experience True Love! I am always "all up in your posts" I absolutely love your blog and admire you. Thank you for joining Weekend Warriors. It's very new so I am hoping it will take off! It's so important!

    ReplyDelete