The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

I'm not saying you're old, but you're not getting any younger.

I was doing some paperwork last night, & a resident wheeled up next to me to update me on the elections & ask for some hot tea.  All of a sudden, the conversation turns from absentee ballots to my future.

Let me give you some background...

She is very demanding.  When a new nurse or CNA comes onto the floor she likes to test the water.  Once she feels you out, she sees how far she can push your relationship.  Even though there are 59 other residents that all need to go to the bathroom & get their pajamas on, she believes her needs are top priority. 

She's also incredibly tortured, & it's very sad to watch.  So even when she's throwing a hissy fit, you've just got to grit your teeth & realize it's not her talking, it's the disease.  It's sad to someone laughing one minute & sobbing the next.

Despite all that, she's genuinely a good person & I love her.  So, to the funny part...

There we are, talking about the elections, how sad we are that the Phillies didn't win the World Series & what she wanted in her hot tea at 10 PM.  Then, out of nowhere, she say, "You know, you're 26 now.  If you want to be a nurse, you better go to school soon because it takes 3 years.  You'll be 30 when you're done...& then you need to get married & have a baby."

Ok then.

It's funny she mentioned the school part though, because I was thinking the same thing.  A few weeks ago I registered for a "discovery day" at a nursing school in the area.  It's on the 13th.  It'll be information about admissions, financial aid & the different programs they offer (paramedic, pharmacy, nursing, etc). 

I've got some questions, & this is the place for the answers.  After that, I'll be starting my application.  And I'll be honest, it scares the shit out of me. 

I'll keep you posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment