The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Getting back into the swing of things.

Although I did absolutely nothing but complain about my 7-3 schedule during training, transitioning back to 2nd shift wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

Sure, it was great not to get up at 5:00 AM, but my whole (work) world got turned upside down after that.  I developed a 7-3 routine for providing care, which all goes out the window on 2nd shift.  Everything is now down in reverse, which seems easy enough - but, ummm....it's just not.

But, in the end, it wasn't too bad.  I already feel better about going in today. 

In the next for days I'm going to adjust back to 2nd shift, & then I'll be in heaven!  I felt so good for the few weeks I worked 2nd shift before training.  I got to sleep in, I didn't have to get ready for work the instant I did wake up, I had time to get things done around the house & the schedule in general worked much better for DJ & I.

Tonight I get an introduction to the permanent floor I'll be placed on.  I'm trying to stay positive about it, because I got placed on one of the 2 floors I really, really didn't want.  But, this job is all about the residents, & they're certainly not the reason I didn't want to work on this floor.  None of the other stuff matters.

And, there is some good news:  my favorite friend from training got placed on the same floor, so we'll be working together!!  It will be really great to be so close to someone who is going through the same thing.

Wish us luck!!

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck!!! Yeah for friend working on same floor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation. Yes, time to me is everything. I, too, like to start a little later. I don't feel right if I don't have all my house stuff done first, before I leave for the day. Can you say anal? Good luck on the job.

    ReplyDelete