The random ramblings of a perpetual procrastinator. These are the life & times of a nursing home CNA navigating the ups & downs of living with someone who's living with a disability. A sometimes amusing, sometimes bittersweet look at my journey into real adulthood.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

I need your opinion, Bloggy Ladies.

For some reason, I have always wanted a gray cat.  Have you ever seen the really dark, charcoal gray ones with the amber colored eyes?  That's what's I mean.

Subconsciously, I think it's because my very first cat fit the bill.  My mom gave her to me when I started kindergarten & she was with us until I was 19.

In any event, DJ & I already have 2 cats (And a dog!  Can't forget the dog) that make us me very happy.  However, there was a "Free to a good home" sign on the bulletin board at work, & one of the kittens is gray - just like I've been wanting.

I emailed the woman a few days ago & didn't get a response.  I assumed the kitten was adopted & just let it go; but then I got a response today.  Her email essentially said, "Sorry for the delay.  If you're still interested, contact me."

I emailed back & told her I was absofreakinglutely still interested!  I asked her to contact me when she has a chance so we can make pick-up arrangements when it's convenient.

Then I got this response:



I would like you to have personal contact with them so you can see how they interact with you and you with them.  Also, one of the kittens has all of her shots and they were paid for through 1X1 Cat Rescue so there's an adoption fee (we can discuss this when you call).  The other 2 kittens' shots were paid for by me and I would ask that I be reimbursed for those fees (again to be discussed by phone).  They are due for rabies shots this Fri. as well as booster distemper shots.  I will be home in the P.M. as far as I know.  The 1X1 kitten's shots are good for a year with the exception she must be spayed when she's 5 or 6 months and when you show proof of the spaying you will be reimbursed a portion of the adoption fee.  The other 2 kittens must also be spayed when old enough.  No de-clawing for any of the kittens. 
 
Please know that what I am telling you I tell all of the prospective pet parents and not just you.  They are well taken care of and are happy, healthy kittens and we want them to have a good home



I have no qualms about reimbursing this woman for the shots, because it makes no difference whether I pay my vet or hers.  She would be spayed as soon as she was old enough, & I have no plans to declaw...which is why my walls have scratches from the devil cats who already live here.  Grrr....


However, I'm a little put off by her email.  She's not making unreasonable requests, but I feel like it's a far cry from "Free to a good home."  And to be honest, if it were me giving kittens away I wouldn't be able to do it  would probably feel the same way.  But something just doesn't seem right to me.  I feel a little hesitant to get involved with this person.


What do you think?  Am I overreacting, or do you think I should steer clear of this situation?


2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, and I kind of know where she's coming from (I was pre-vet in college....so feel free to email me anytime you have a question, I've probably seen it!). I would first look to see if this cat rescue is real-if not that's a clear sign to avoid her. If it is real, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. After all, the cats themselves are free, she's said she "would ask for" reimbursement for the shots (which I'm sure you know aren't really cheap). I would also make sure that when you go meet the cat she provides you with the vet records of the shots so you have verification that they were actually done and paid for. To me, it sounds like she's just someone who really honestly gives a crap about where her babies go and doesn't have a bunch of extra money to spend on their medical care. But, I prefer to see the good in people. Good luck, hope it works out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa - I can vouch that 1x1 is a real shelter. And it's a great one too. It's a no kill cat shelter around here. They do awesome work!

    Gem - I went back & forth over the pet dynamic for a while before considering another cat. My animals get along - in the sense that the cats & dog ignore eachother. There's no jealousy. And I was lucky enough to end up with lap cats/ Mine will only sit with us on their terms. Lol.

    Thanks for the input, ladies! After I slept on it, I think I'm with both of you. Like I said, I can see where she's coming from & I have no issues paying for their shots since I would have just been doing it anyway. We'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete